Friday, July 22, 2011

My TV Debut


Or should we say, my Cheesy TV Debut. My mouth is just so big...I die when I see myself in some pictures or on TV. I mean, I guess it could be worse, but my mouth is just so darn big and it's always open. lol. Ugh...anyways...my TV debut went pretty well this morning! Phew, so glad it's over! :) It was actually a lot of fun and exciting. When I got to the TV station this morning I set up everything right away. Everyone was so nice and so inviting.

This is the only picture I took while there because I forgot my camera, oops!


Once everything was set up, the show was about to start! Promptly at 9:00 am, 'Virginia This Morning' began. I waited in a little room with a TV watching the show live until I was called up for my part. I wasn't scheduled until the end of the show, so I waited patiently and tried not to get nervous while waiting! I actually felt great and not nervous at all, until...the camera crews yelled "and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, YOU'RE ON!" "Oh shit!!!!" There were like 5 cameras and I didn't know which camera too look at...another "oh shit" moment! You will see on the video that I obviously did not know which camera to look at because I was looking at the wrong one...oops, lol. Anywho, on we were and it went great. The time TOTALLY flew by, but I finished the recipe in the end. Next time I would do a couple things different, but all in all it was good and a very fun experience. Maybe next time I'll work on keeping my mouth/jaw from not expanding too much? If you know me, you already know this----if not, you'll see what I mean on the video. It's a problem folks. ;)

I made a Light Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake with an Almond Glaze on the show. I explained how I made the recipe lighter than most desserts by using some whole wheat flour, no butter, low-sugar, chia seeds (!!!), etc. I wanted to go on more about the importance of eating everything in moderation and not depriving your body of the good things in life. But, no time for this---the time FLEW. When they put the link online of the demonstration I will share it with you!

Enough of the blabbling...here is the recipe.

Light Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake with an Almond Glaze

Ingredients for Cake:

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 T. chia seeds
2 T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. freshly grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon worth)
2 T. lemon juice (about 1 lemon worth)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar

(My messy kitchen)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan, preferably nonstick, with cooking spray and dust with flour (or use cooking spray with flour).
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, chia and poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, oil, applesauce, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
Beat eggs, egg whites and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes.
Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula, a third at a time, alternating with 2 additions of the buttermilk mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.



Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.


Almond Glaze Ingredients:

1/4 cup 1% milk
2 t. almond extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:

-Combine milk and almond extract in a medium saucepan and heat over low heat until warm.
-Sift confectioners' sugar into milk mixture.
-Whisk slowly, until well combined.
-Remove the glaze from the heat and set over a bowl of warm water.


After cake has cooled for about 15 minutes, drizzle almond glaze lightly over cake. You will have leftover almond glaze that is not needed. Put the almond glaze in your refrigerator and use it later for another dessert.




Thank you to everyone for your support and sweet comments! They definitely helped me get through this. I had a great time!

*Sorry, no Fitness Friday today. It's one of those crazy days were there is no time to exercise...this is rare for me, but I'll use it as a rest day---those are just as important. Here's to an eating healthy Friday!

What are your plans for the weekend? The hubs and I are off to Holden Beach with my in-laws and sister and brother in laws. We are SO excited!!!! We will be there until Thursday and looking forward to lots of relaxing in the sun and lots of laughs with the family. I probably won't be blogging much, but I will be back later next week if not before. Have a great weekend...stay cool---this weather is INSANE.

5 comments:

  1. I can verify this recipe is fantastic. Laura brought it to our house last weekend and there was nary a crumb left. Fix this ASAP and you will score lots of compliments! Of course if you are blessed enough to have a talented, beautiful and thoughtful daughter-in-law you are really fortunate...she brings it all ready! I'm so proud of this girl I am almost speechless...notice it was almost speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do Chia pets grow from Chia seeds? ;)
    Can't wait to see the link!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation on your debut! What exactly was this for? Can I see it anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pressure.....but I tagged you in for 7 links, if you're interested in hoppin' on the bandwagon :)

    http://wp.me/1CZqD

    ReplyDelete