Sunday, July 10, 2011

Homemade BBQ and Fresh Peach Cobbler: The perfect Southern Meal

It's been a wonderful weekend. We are actually at home (a rare occasion) and have been enjoying lots of house work, yard work, cooking, exercising and dinner with friends. It has been lovely! Just one question...where do the weekends go? I swear you blink on Friday and boom it's Sunday night!

Although I was born in Buffalo, NY (only lived there for the first 8 months of my life), I am a Southern girl. I love good Southern cookin'...but seriously, who doesn't? Friday night I made BBQ from a friend in Richmond's recipe. I have heard many compliments of this recipe and have been wanting to try it for a while. Finally I made it and man oh man we are in love. My husband is a huge BBQ fanatic and he was wowed over this!!!! Thankfully we have TONS of leftovers and have been eating it for lunch and I plan to have it for dinners this week. I love yummy leftovers!

This recipe is made in the crock pot. I.love.this. Anything in the crock pot makes life so much easier! And, it makes the house smell yummy too...a win, win situation. Plan on making this soon, it's a winner in our book and we will def. be making it again and again and again.

Barbeque Pork in the CrockPot

Ingredients:

1 onion, quartered
2 T brown sugar
1 T paprika
2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
one 4-6lb pork shoulder (I used a boneless pork loin and it was perfect!)
3/4 c. cider vinegar
4 t Worcestershire sauce
1.5 t crushed red pepper flakes
1.5 t sugar
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t garlic salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper

Place onions in the crock pot. Combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt, and pepper and rub the mixture into the roast. In a separate bowl, combine the vinegar, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, dry mustard, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Drizzle 1/2 the mixture over the roast. (Cover the rest of the mixture and refridgerate) Cover the roast and cook on low 10 hours or high 6 hours.

Next, pull the pork using a fork and store it in the container with the vinegar mixture. The pork should pull apart very easily after being cooked for so long...mmm mmm delicious!


*Along with our pork we had fresh SC corn (grilled, our new fav way to eat corn), edamame and some carrot/peach bread my Mom made (recipe from the latest Southern Living---AMAZING, I will get it and post soon!). This was the most delicious summer meal.

Now, we can't forget about dessert after such a wonderful dinner. I had tons of South Carolina peaches that needed to be eaten up (remember...I hate seeing food go to waste!) so decided to make a peach cobbler.


I used "How Sweet it is" recipe for her Strawberry Cobbler but instead of strawberry's I used peaches. Perfect. I even bought real (yes the real deal) vanilla icecream to top on the cobbler. We go out for real icecream, but when I buy it I always buy low-fat. The hubs was pretty excited for the real thing. We both had to say though, that we didn't really taste much of a difference between the full-fat vs. low-fat. Anywho...here is my somewhat adapted recipe...

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
4 cups of peaches
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 cups flour (next time I will try half whole wheat flour, half white)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened and cut into cubes
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
vanilla ice cream for serving and fresh mint for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice peache – I did my best with taking the skin off the peach, but left some skin---gives good flavor. Toss with 1 tablespoon white sugar.


Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Wait for 5 minutes until the entire skillet is hot, then add 2 tablespoons butter. Add peaches and cook for 5-6 minutes to soften.


While peaches are cooking, combine flour, baking soda and powder, salt and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a bowl and mix.


Add in cubed butter and mix with a fork until the butter is in smaller crumbles and strewn throughout the mix. Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk. Add vanilla extract and stir until mixture comes together.

Turn off heat under peaches. Spoon globs of dough on top of the peaches, scattering them all around.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top of dough. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top.


Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn down heat to 375 and bake for 10-15 minutes more. Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh mint if desired.

Devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment