Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chicken Stir Fry and more...



Chicken Stir-Fry

By: Lori Schlecht (allrecipes)

"'This is a tasty, healthy meal that everyone in my house enjoys!' reports Lori Schlecht of Wimbledon, North Dakota."

Prep Time:
15 Min

Cook Time:
10 Min

Ready In:
25 Mi

Servings 4

Ingredients

4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves

3 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided (I used peanut oil)

2 cups broccoli florets

1 cup sliced celery (1/2 inch pieces)

1 cup thinly sliced carrots

1 small onion, cut into wedges

1 cup water

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (I didn't have this on hand, so didn't use it-and turned out just fine)

Directions

1. Cut chicken into 1/2-in. strips; place in a resealable plastic bag. Add cornstarch and toss to coat. Combine soy sauce, ginger and garlic powder; add to bag and shake well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2. In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove and keep warm. Add remaining oil; stir- fry broccoli, celery, carrots and onion for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water and bouillon. Return chicken to pan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Serve with brown rice!

Footnotes

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce and reduced-sodium bouillon) equals 306 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.

Laura's Moist Bananna Bread

Ingredients

2 cups flour

1 cup oatmeal

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

4 bananas, mashed

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, oatmeal, baking soda and powder, salt. In a large bowl cream together eggs and sugar. Stir in mashed bananas, vanilla, oil and cinnamon. Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, until just combined. Divide batter into either two 9x5 inch pans for two small loafs, or into one 9x5 inch pan for one larger loaf. Bake for about 1 hour.


*This recipe is from the foodnetwork, however; I have made a few personal changes and additions...so it is now from Laura's cookbook. :)




**My sweet hubby came home tonight with two eclairs for us to enjoy for dessert (picture above)! I was so excited about this, as my huge sweet tooth was wondering what we were going to have for dessert tonight! Gotta have dessert...oh.my.gosh. these eclairs were to dye for!!!! Thank you Westhampton Pastry Shop...we love you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I need to come visit and get some of your gourmet dinners! Everything sounds delicious! Loves....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dinners sound divine....but have to comment on the eclairs! They have always been one of my favorite things, which I find odd having grown up in the south. (It's not like anyone I knew actually made them!) An eclair was one of the very first things I had to try in Paris....wanted to see if I had been eating the real thing all these years! Don't often have them....but when I do.....oh, man!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie: We wish you could come over for our dinners!!!

    Anita: The eclairs were simply divine!!! I haven't had one of these in a while, but man---they melted in my mouth. Makes my mouth water, just thinking of having an eclair in Paris. :)

    ReplyDelete