Thursday, December 9, 2010

Overnight Baked French Toast

I made this recipe over Thanksgiving, but just now getting a chance to post it. I love breakfasts that you can make the day before then just pop in the oven the morning the next morning when you wake up. I made this for my family and it was loved. It is slightly sweet, so next time I would cut down on some of the sugar (which I went ahead and did in my version below for you), but overall it was delicious. Serve with fruit and coffee :)

Here is the original recipe from Allrecipes.com. My slightly changed version is below:

Ingredients

1 loaf (or whatever fits in your pan) of whole wheat bread (I happened to have whole wheat cranberry bread on hand, and it was perfect)
8 eggs
2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions

Spray with Cooking Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

Serves: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment