Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My new favorite veggie


Oops...it's been almost a month since my last food/recipe post. We've been so busy with getting the house ready for our housewarming party, and then after that...honestly I've been just making simple, easy meals not very blog worthy. I also train clients most evenings, so dinner must be quick and simple to get on the table when I get home. Wednesdays are my evenings off (for now), so tonight I finally got to hunker down in the kitchen. :) Oh, how I loooove cooking! Tonight's dinner was pretty much amazing...yet still so simple.

Back to the title of my blog...my new favorite veggie is...Kale! I've only had this veggie a couple times, yet have never tried to cook it before. My Mom gets a basket of fresh/local/organic foods every other week and this past week she had a bunch of kale in it. So, being the kind mother that she is...she gave me some. I was a little nervous to cook this for the first time, but it was great....soooo delicious. Another positive...soooo good for you! I will def. be making this again soon. There are so many recipes our there for kale, but below is the one I used tonight from the Food Network. We also had pork tenderloin that I had marinating in the refrig overnight in barbeque sauce. Popped that sucker in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes and it melted in your mouth. We also had brown rice with chopped pecans that I toasted and then threw them in the rice with a tiny bit of butter. All of the flavors from this meal blended in together and it was a complete success. YUM.

Sauteed Kale

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil (I only used 2 T. and was just fine)
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water (I used water and it was great)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.


*I encourage you to go try and cook something new that you've never done before!

**Oh...and Happy December! I love this time of year!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had kale, what flavor does it remind you of? It sounds delicious!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale kind of reminds me of spinach...but different...haha. It's hard to explain! Tougher that cooked spinach...but great flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete