Sunday, December 12, 2010

Not yo Mamma's Meatloaf

Growing up as children, both Daniel and I were not big meatloaf lovers. I wanted to find a yummy recipe for meatloaf, though, b/c it is so comforting on a cold, winter day. I think I found "the" recipe! I got it off Epicurious, here. Below is the recipe:

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey (I used turkey)
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup catsup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix lightly but thoroughly.

Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until meatloaf is to medium doneness (160°F for beef, 170°F for turkey), until not pink in center and juices show no pink color. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. (Now, the only problem I had w/this recipe was that it took almost 2 hours to bake...not sure why, but this was frustrating as there were 2 hungry people in my house! Just be aware of this and be prepared that it may take a while to bake...)

As good as the meatloaf is, it would not be complete without the sauce. Form the mixture into a loaf and place it in the middle of a roast pan to cook. Twenty minutes before it was done, the grease/liquid was drained off. She then covered the meatloaf with 1/2 cup of grated onion, followed by 1/2 cup of (Heinz) ketchup mixed with 2T of brown sugar, 2T vinegar, 1T Worchestershire Sauce; heated mixed ingredients but did not boil. I always make a double batch to spoon over each piece.

Cover and refrigerate leftovers promptly and use within 2 days, or wrap airtight and freeze up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment