Monday, September 13, 2010

Spinach and Bacon Quiche....yummm

The hubs and I make some sort of egg dish about once a week. Eggs are cheap, easy, filling and pretty healthy. I wanted to make a dish that I could just pop in the oven when I got home from training and thought of this. I found a recipe from Paula Deen that got a 5 star rating, so couldn't resist. Here is the actual recipe, but as always-I've adapted it. Below is the Laura version:

Cook Time:45 min Level: Easy Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
4 large eggs and 4 egg whites, beaten
1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
5 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a blender or mixer. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. (I made this all ahead of time, then put it in the fridge, and popped it in the oven when I got home from work...worked like a charm).

***Don't put the pie pan on a cookie pan...this REALLY slows down the baking time. I made this mistake, and instead of what was supposed to take 45 mins., took over an hour. The mixture will not spill over, so no worries there.

Enjoy, this dish is delish...light but filling. I served it with biscuits and green beans. Yum-O!

P.S.-So sorry for lacking in my picture taking of meals...I can't find the cord for my camera. I have been using Daniel's camera, but it was not around me tonight....will try to be better of the picture taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment