Best meal I've made in a while. Hands down.
Lamb Tagine (from Cooking Light)
1 (1-lb.) boneless leg of lamb roast, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 t. salt, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground red pepper
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T. honey
1 T. tomato paste
1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, low sodium beef broth
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle lamb evenly with 1/2 t. salt. Add lamb to pan; saute 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add remaining 1/4 t. salt, cumin, and next 3 ingredients (through garlic); saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in honey and tomato paste; cook 30 seconds; stirring frequently. Return lamb to pan. Add apricots and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Fat: 17.8 g.
Protein: 28.3 g.
*I served this over garlic and olive oil whole wheat cous cous and with a side of broccolini. Oh, and don't be scared to cook with lamb...this was my first time and it was easy as cooking w/chicken!
I made this meal for my parents last night at their home and for dessert we had:
Pumpkin Whole Wheat Bread Pudding (another...GO MAKE THIS NOW!). This is a healthy bread pudding and super duper YUMMY.
1.5 C skim milk
3/4 C canned pureed sweet potato (pumpkin would also work)
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt
5 slices 100% whole wheat Nature’s Pride bread, toasted and cubed
Preheat oven to 350.
1) Whisk all ingredients except the bread together in a large bowl.
2) Toast the 5 slices of bread. This will make it hold it’s shape when it bakes.
3) Cut the toasted bread into cubes and add into a deep pan. Pour the sweet potato liquid mixture evenly on top of the bread.
4) Pop the pan into the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Your kitchen will shortly smell amazing.
Perfect ending to a perfect dinner! :) Sorry for no pictures, we were at the parents house without the camera...oops.