Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lazy Saturday

Well hello Fall!  Half of me is very glad to see you and half of me is not ready yet for chilly temperatures!  I do love most everything about Fall.  I love breaking out my jeans, getting into my sweatpants and sweatshirts at the end of a long work day, the smells of food baking in the oven, all things pumpkin, football, hot tea, fires in our fireplace and the list goes on.

Today has been a rainy day here in Richmond.  It's been the perfect day to relax and watch football all day. I would have loved to be doing that, but my studying called.  I have about two more weeks until my big exam so I'm trying to push through till the end!  I had planned on going to the gym this afternoon with the hubs, but the plans fell through.  Instead...I made cookies.  I think you should make them too :)  They are so delicious and moist.  I love that they have whole wheat flour and no butter or eggs in them...not too shabby.  The almond extract in the cookies really shines through...you will love these!


Ingredients:
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1/2 c. oats
  • 1/2 c. chopped almonds
  • 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. almond butter
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 t. almond extract
  • 2 T. agave
  • ~2 T. almond milk
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, oats, almonds and chocolate chips.
  • In a smaller bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Add wet mixture to dry and stir until combined.
  • Spread dough into bottom of pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until set and golden brown around edges.
  • Let cool before cutting into bars.

*On the menu tonight was veggie "sausage," oven roasted broccoli (yum!) and mushrooms mixed together and served over whole wheat pasta lightly covered in a light Alfredo sauce.  Mmm, mmm, mmm.  Hello Fall! 


 


Along with the pasta we had a side salad and fresh whole wheat bread.  Gotta have something to soak up that sauce ;)  Then of course...you know what was for dessert.  The hubs has been out of town a lot for work recently, so it was nice to have a romantic dinner at home tonight ;)  Now, we are catching up on some football watching!




*Are you ready for Fall?  What is your favorite thing about Fall?  

1 comment:

  1. Good job studying on a rainy day! That is the TOUGHEST for me to do-- rainy days always make me want to bundle up in bed :)

    I am more than ready for fall! My favorite thing about it would have to be the pumpkin & autumny scented candles and baked goods. I'm getting excited just thinking about them

    ReplyDelete