Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Supper

Sadly I don't have any pictures from dinner, so you'll have to use your imagination. I made Lemon Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli, my Dad made a great salad and my Mom made a Rhubarb/Strawberry Pie. It was a perfect meal! I found the pasta recipe from here...check it out for a picture and the recipe! The only thing different I did was to add fresh mushrooms that Mom had on hand, and I used fresh shrimp from our favorite seafood market---Bon Air Seafood in Richmond. I was a little nervous about the pasta being too "lemony," but don't be afraid...it really is the perfect blend of flavors and it is a light and delicious spring pasta. I don't have my Mom's pie recipe yet, but when I do...I will def. post. It was to die for! She gave us leftovers, so guess what we are having again tonight for dessert??!! :) I hope that all of the Mother's out there had a wonderful day. You all are so deserving and so so so important!!!!

Lemon Pasta with Shrimp & Broccoli

1 box (13 oz) whole wheat linguine or spaghetti
5-8 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced,
1 pound large shrimp
Fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, zest grated
2-3 cups fresh broccoli
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, optional
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Salt to taste

Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.

Meanwhile, in heavy pan, add olive oil over medium-low heat. Add broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, salt, and saute for about 2 minutes, just until shrimp warms through.

Turn heat off and add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment