Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Easy peasy, heart healthy chicken


I knew it would be a late night when I got home from work tonight, so I wanted something quick, easy and satisfying. Last night I threw together a marinade of low-sodium teriyaki sauce (about 3 T.), rice vinegar (about 1 T.) and a bunch of chopped up garlic into a large ziplock bag and put two chicken breasts in the bag. This marinaded in the fridge all night and all day today. When I got home I instantly cooked brown rice in our rice maker (LOVE this thing, makes my life so much easier!), chopped up the chicken, then threw the chicken in the fry pan and stir fried it (maybe I'm on a stir fry kick?). Once the chicken was cooked, I added edamame and pecans to the chicken and let them all cook together in the pan. I know you're thinking...this is an odd combination of ingredients! It is, but the flavors all work great together...a surprise in every bite.

Next, in a separate bowl, I mixed together about 1 T. of cornstarch and about 2 T. of water together. I then put this into the fry pan (with the chicken and other ingredients)...the cornstarch is used as a thickener and is so important for stir fry type dishes...really makes the dish. Done! Served this over brown rice with peas and a salad on the side. Another yummy one...do yourself a favor and go give this a try...you won't be disappointed :)

P.S.- How's this picture for ya??! I'm trying and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment