Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chicken and Mushroom pesto pasta

I'm not a huge pasta eater, but once in a while a craving strikes! I was oddly craving whole wheat pasta with ingredients we had on hand at home...therefore, this recipe evolved. When I first made it, I didn't add the pesto in. Both the hubs and I thought it needed more flavor. We had tons of leftovers, so the next time we ate it for dinner I had 1/2 container of pesto in the freezer. I thawed this pesto and threw it in w/the rest of the pasta. Just what it needed...a little umph!

Ingredients:
3/4 pound chicken tenders
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
Garlic (as much as this as you like, we like lots!)
1/2 pound dried whole wheat fettuccine or whatever pasta you have on hand
1/2 container pesto

Directions:
Put chicken, flour and salt and pepper into a large bowl and toss to combine. Set aside. Melt butter in a skillet with olive oil. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Stir in yogurt, broth, mushrooms, paprika and garlic. Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain well, then transfer to bowls and spoon chicken and its sauce over the top. Heat up pesto and pour that into pasta mixture. Mix well, serve!

*I didn't get a picture of this, oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment