Friday, August 13, 2010

Yet another dessert recipe...


Because I have been training clients around our typical dinner time, I have been making easy/quick dinners this week. All tasty, but nothing extra fancy. Tonight, however; I am making pork tenderloin and other goodies...I will blog about it later. Yesterday we didn't have any sweets left in the house. Probably a good thing, although the hubs and I have HORRIBLE sweet tooths. ugh. I wanted to make something quick, easy and with ingredients I had on hand without having to make another trip to the grocery. I had a bag of peanut butter/chocolate chips, so thought I'd make cookies. Well nevermind about that because we didn't have any more eggs left (one of our dinners this week was breakfast for dinner: eggs, biscuits, grits, pineapple...so eggs were used up!). I then decided that I still wanted to use the peanut butter/chocolate chips, and thought I'd make bar cookies with them. Still, no eggs. I then convinced myself to experiment and make eggless bar cookies. Boy, oh boy, did they turn out AMAZING. So amazing, Daniel and I have almost eaten half the large pan...sigh.

I learned that you can substitute 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp. of cornstarch to equal one egg. The recipe I used called for 2 eggs, so instead I substitute 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp. cornstarch. I was a little nervous about this, but it worked out beautifully. These cookies are super easy, SUPER moist and melt in your mouth. Enjoy with a tall glass of skim milk! Oh, and I got the recipe off my new favorite recipe web-site.

Ingredients:

½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (or whatever kind of "chips" you want)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I didn't add these)
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9X13-inch baking dish. Set aside.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9X13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
In large bowl, or in large bowl of electric mixer at medium seed, beat butter, shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in chips and nuts.
Spread dough evenly in prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely.
Makes 16 (2X3-inch) bars
Variations: Substitute peanut butter chips, milk chocolate chips or raspberry-flavored chips for all or half of the semisweet chocolate chips.

1 comment:

  1. So you are officially making me crave these things I shouldn't be eating..LOL! Sounds delicious and probably something we could devour in one sitting at this house!
    Miss you both; Love you both..
    Susie

    ReplyDelete