Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One delicious dish and one delicious dessert



I had chicken and broccoli on hand tonight, and wanted to make a chicken/broccoli stir fry. I quickly searched online for a yummy recipe and found one from Epicurious.com. The recipe was very tasty and I highly recommend it!

Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry

yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:

1/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth (I didn't have this on hand, so replaced it w/water...it was just fine)
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
2 tablespoons dry Sherry (I didn't have this on hand, so didn't add it and still turned out great)
1 tablespoon cornstarch

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly slice
Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper (optional)
1 t. honey (I added this and was a perfect touch of sweetness)
1 cup peanuts or cashews (I also added these for some crunch)
Hot cooked white rice (I used brown)


Preparation:

Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, Sherry and cornstarch in small bowl until cornstarch dissolves.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken to skillet and stir-fry until white, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli florets, bell pepper, onion and crushed red pepper, if desired, nuts, and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth mixture and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Serve with rice.

For dessert...these blondies are the perfect, light summer treat :)

Raspberry White Chocolate Blondies

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 T. light sour cream

1 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 T. sanding sugar

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in microwave safe bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup white chips until melted and smooth. In a large bowl add the sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup white chips. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream. Pour into the dry ingredient bowl along with the melted white chip mixture. Mix until just combined.

2. Pour into an 8x8 inch baking dish that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Top evenly with 1 cup raspberries. Mix the chopped pecans and sanding sugar in a small bowl until combined then sprinkle over top of blondies. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean from center.

Makes about 9 blondies. Enjoy!



p.s.-I just realized my last post had chicken and broccoli in it...oh my. I guess that's what happens when I haven't been able to post as much lately!

4 comments:

  1. Okay so I am ready to eat. I just wish I was ready to cook! It all sounds delicious and I am going to have to put this in a skillet soon and try my hand with the raspberries! What a great spring time dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I made the chicken broccoli peanut pasta the other night. It was a hit, of course. We hardly had any leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm so excited about the beach this year for a few things. One, would have to be of course the beach and us all being together. Two, How fun trying new recipes will be, with all of us enjoying cooking so much these days! Finally, three is how funny it will be to see our blog posts when we are doing the same things for a whole week?! This posting and the comments from Mom and Lisa made me think of this. Loves to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elise, I can't wait for the beach too!!!!! Ahh, it will be SO much fun!! :)

    Not much longer until you are a graduate, can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete